Original Jean-Michel Basquiat posters from the 2002 exhibition in Rome.
The three posters by Jean Michel Basquiat were made in a single print and in a few thousand copies* exclusively for the New York artist's exhibition held in Rome, at the Chiostro del Bramante, in 2002 (20 January 2002/17 March 2002).
- The art print on thick (more than 180 gsm) high quality coated paper reproduces the originals with excellent color fidelity.
- The state of preservation of both the paper and the colors is excellent.
- The printing was carried out by LEM of Milan (at the time a point of reference and excellence in the Italian panorama of art editions).
The three posters were approved and supervised by the house of the artist “The estate of Jean Michel Basquiat” whose name is clearly visible printed on the posters.
The name of the collection (Johnson Chang), courtesy (Galerie Enrico Navarra) as well as the Siae brand (Italian Society of Publishers) is also printed below.
Jean Michel Basquiat “Mona Lisa” – poster dimensions: 98x120cm
“Mona Lisa” was the most discussed and symbolic image of the whole Italian event and soon became the icon of the retrospective. The image generated a heated debate full of historical, artistic and social implications, as it is easy to imagine the artist himself intended. The Mona Lisa was also an image used to promote the exhibition.
The “Mona Lisa” was printed in double quantity than the other posters * and thanks to the larger circulation there are still a few dozen posters available. We are therefore able to offer the “Mona Lisa of Basquiat” at an excellent price both for those who want to exhibit the poster and for collectors and dealers who will see the value grow as the available copies run out.
Jean Michel Basquiat “El gran espectaculo” – poster dimensions: 98x120cm
“El gran espectaculo” or the representation of the “History of the Black People (in three parts)”, from 1983, a fundamental and highly representative work of Basquiat’s entire artistic and existential as well as human path.
The poster “El gran espectaculo” was printed* in equal quantities to the others, but it was immediately the most requested after that of the “Mona Lisa”. For this reason there are still very few copies left and the selling price already higher than the others is destined to grow further because it will soon be unavailable.
Jean Michel Basquiat “Untitled” – poster dimensions: 98x120cm
“Untitled” is one of Basquiat’s most enigmatic works. Anyone who knows the artist well knows how much the “Untitled” are a significant constant of his artistic career. This “Untitled” was chosen not only as the subject for the poster but also by Basquiat himself as the background for a famous photo (by Tseng Kwong Chi, to Jean Michel Basquiat in his Great Jones Street studio, New York, 1987) in which he is pensive portrait right in front of the large “Untitled”.
The poster is still available in several dozen * copies and we can thus offer it at a lower price and able to grow over time in progression as copies run out.
Since these are the last copies available – originals from the 2002 exhibition – destined to soon be unavailable, we limit the purchase to a single copy per subject in order to satisfy the greatest possible number of collectors and admirers of Jean Michel Basquiat.
HR Docks Gallery has a shop on the art portal artsy.net , where it is also possible to buy the three posters …
If you want to continue purchasing a poster on our site you can use the following discount code and immediately save € 20 each poster:
For Basquiat lovers and for the most attentive collectors we have created a Bundle that allows you to buy the three prints at a very affordable price. Hurry up if you are interested, because the bundle will probably be short-lived, given the now very low quantity of copies with the subject “El gran espectaculo”.
If you are interested in the Bundle and want to continue with the purchase on our site, remember to use the following discount code and immediately save € 100 in addition to paying a single shipment:
* Quantity of copies printed:
- We carried out various searches but it was not possible to trace the quantities of printed posters with absolute certainty.
- However, based on the most reliable information we have had access to (including staff who worked in the printing house) we believe that the print run was between 4/6000 copies of “Mona Lisa” and between 2/3000 copies each of the other subjects. What is certain is that most of the copies were individually purchased during the event by visitors.
- No reprint or copy can any longer be authorized or made of these subjects.
- As also communicated to us by the managers of the Chiostro del Bramante in Rome (who also did another Basquiat exhibition in subsequent years), no official press has been / will be authorized by “The estate of Jean Michel Basquiat”, after those of 2002. These are therefore prints destined to acquire considerable value.